Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Book signing at Union Station


I was recently invited by the Platte Valley & Western Model Railroad Club to sign copies of Good Cop, Dead Cop at Union Station. If you’re unsure of the connection, I refer you to the footnotes for Chapter One. I had a great time and sold several copies of the book, including two to members of Dr. Watson’s Neglected Patients, my local Sherlock Holmes scion society. I even had one person who bought the book at the Tattered Cover cross the street to have it signed.

I’m sorry for the slightly out of focus photos my husband Jim took of me at my table and for the fact that I look slightly cold, because in truth it was quite warm near the station’s boiler room. You’ll see the basement still has the spooky look that contributed to what I hope was a suitably creepy opening for the book.

Chris Rand of the PV&W also gave me a quick behind the scenes tour of the basement and the now blocked off tunnels that originally led to the Oxford Hotel.

Of course I also had time to view the amazing train layout of the group, which naturally includes a miniature of Union Station. I couldn’t compose the photo to match the cover of my book unfortunately. The railroad club was also hosting VIP guests from the RTD board because the redevelopment of Union Station is very much in the news, with competing plans for how best to integrate a hotel into the building while still preserving the charm of the lobby.

And Jim and I also got a chance to drive some trains; and here’s some video of Jim doing a complicated exchange of railcars.

No comments:

Post a Comment